meatballs in a tomato, garlic and basil sauce
For the tomato, garlic and basil sauce:
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tins chopped tomatoes, 800g
• 2 tablespoons tomato puree
• 1 Handful fresh basil, chopped (plus extra to serve)
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• 100g Mozzarella
• salt and pepper
For the meatballs:
• 500g Cashells local Welsh pork mince
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon dried chilli flakes
• Salt and black pepper
For the sauce:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on a gentle heat, adding the onion and garlic. Stir occasionally, until softened.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, chopped basil and sugar. Mix the ingredients together whilst bringing them to the boil, then simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add salt and plenty of black pepper, seasoning to taste.
For the meatballs:
1. Heat the oil in a pan on a gentle heat, adding the onion and garlic. Stir occasionally, until softened, then take off the heat and allow to cool.
2. Put the Welsh butcher prepared pork mince into a large mixing bowl, adding the onion and garlic.
3. Add the beaten egg to the bowl along with the parsley, oregano and dried chilli flakes to the mixture. Mix well and season generously with salt and black pepper.
4. Divide the mixture and roll into small round meatballs.
5. Add the remaining olive oil to a frying pan and add the meatballs. Cook for 10-12 minutes, turning the meatballs as they cook.
6. Transfer the cooked meatballs into an ovenproof dish and coat them with the tomato, garlic and basil sauce.
7. Sprinkle the grated mozzarella over the mixture and place under a preheated grill until it has melted.
8. Garnish the dish with black pepper and fresh chopped basil.
9. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving suggestions: Serve alongside spaghetti, mashed potatoes or with crusty bread to dip in the sauce… and a generous glass of red wine.
Substitute our Locally Sourced Welsh Lamb Mince or our Local Black Mountain Welsh Beef for a tasty twist you're sure to love.