Give One Last Hoorah for Summer, With Our Lamb Souvlaki Recipe!
As we’ve entered September and the chillier autumn months are looming, we thought we’d have one last hoorah for summer. There’s still time to get out the barbecue for a late summer al fresco family dinner, and we have a recipe which is just perfect for the occasion. Why not try bringing some Mediterranean sunshine to your back garden, with our mouth-watering Greek souvlaki made from prime Welsh lamb?
This recipe serves four to five people, and it goes beautifully with fluffy, freshly toasted pita bread, hummus and freshly made tzatziki with salad. It’s best to mix up your marinade and let the meat soak in it for a good four or five hours before you get grilling, or even leave it overnight if you want to really enhance the flavours.
1kg Welsh lamb leg or shoulder, cut into bite-sized chunks
80ml olive oil
Juice of a lemon
2 red onions, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or dried, if you prefer)
Seasoning to taste
10 wooden skewers
1) Cut your lamb into bite-sized pieces, around 3cm in size.
2) To make the marinade, mix together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, herbs and spices in a large bowl, then add a dash of salt and a crack of black pepper. Add the meat and chopped onions and get your hands stuck in to ensure they’re thoroughly coated in the marinade. Cover with clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for at least four hours, or ideally overnight. Give it the occasional stir, if you remember.
3) Once you have your barbecue good and hot, soak your wooden skewers in water for a few minutes (this will stop them burning). Thread the chunks of lamb comfortably onto your skewers without over-crowding them.
4) Pop them on the barbecue and let them cook for around ten to fifteen minutes, or until they’re done to your liking. Don’t forget to turn them a couple of times to see they’re cooked evenly.
5) Serve with pitta bread, salad, hummus and tzatziki – enjoy!
We think this recipe really brings out the best in a piece of fresh Welsh lamb. You can use Cashell's handy click and collect service to reserve your choice cut of meat, then pop by our butcher shop to pick it up at your convenience. Don’t bid farewell to summer just yet – enjoy an extra slice of sunshine on a plate, by giving this recipe a go!