This hearty Local Welsh Black Mountain Beef
Shin Stew makes nourishing comfort food. It is a versatile dish, where the vegetables can be changed according to taste. Earthy flavours work well with the beef - you could also try turnips, burdock root, or for something a little different, sweet potato. The star of the show is the beef shin, slow cooked until it falls apart, and it couldn't be easier to make. Timings do not need to be very precise, and it can be left to its own devices in the oven. This delicious dish makes a great family meal - these quantities make a stew that serves four.
What you need:
• Olive oil
• 2 onions, chopped roughly and peeled
• 4 carrots, chopped roughly and peeled
• 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped and trimmed
• 5 cloves garlic, crushed
• A few bay leaves
• 1 pack of button mushrooms
• 1 swede or another root vegetable, peeled and cubed
• 1 kilo Local Welsh Black Mountain Beef
Shin, de-boned, trimmed and cubed (your butcher will do this for you)
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 2 tins of tomatoes
• Half a bottle of red wine
• 1 kilo of Jersey Royals
How to make:
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Meanwhile, place a heavy bottomed, ovenproof dish on the hob and heat the oil. Soften the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few minutes.
2. While stirring this mixture every so often, toss the Welsh Black Mountain Beef
Shin in flour and a little paprika, salt and pepper. Shake off any excess, then add the beef to the vegetables.
3. Stirring occasionally, cook until the meat is coloured on all sides.
4. Add the tomatoes and wine, then season the stew with salt and pepper, finally adding the swede.
5. Bring the mixture to the boil, then put the lid on and place in the preheated oven. Slow cook for four hours.
6. Twenty minutes before taking the stew out of the oven, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the Jersey Royals for fifteen to twenty minutes, until tender. Melt butter over the potatoes and season with a little salt.
7. Remove the stew and serve, then enjoy the comfort of melt-in-the-mouth Welsh Beef and hearty vegetables.